6 Achieve universal primary education
Where we are?
• The net primary school enrolment rate for the population 6-13 years old in Sudan is 67%.
• There is a significant difference between urban and rural population for net primary school enrolment with rates 82% and 60% respectively. Highest net primary school enrolment rate per state is 85% in Khartoum. Kassala and Western Darfur are the states with the lowest net primary school enrolment rates with 48% and 54% respectively.
• The net secondary school enrolment rate for the population 14-16 years old in Sudan is 22%.
• For the urban population, the net secondary enrolment rate is 37% compared to the rural population rate of 14%. The highest net secondary enrolment rates per state were reported in River Nile and Khartoum States with 41% and 37% respectively.
• The lowest net are in Southern Kordofan and Kassala States with rates 9% and 11% respectively.
• 62% of the population 15 years old or more in Sudan is literate. Urban literacy reached 79% of the population in this age group compared to 51% of the rural population.
• The range of the literacy rate spans from 81% in Khartoum State to 44% and 46% in Western Darfur and Kassala States respectively.
• The literacy gender gap ratio for the population 15 years and above is 0.71 with 73% of the male population literate compared to 52 percent of the females.
UNDP's work in Sudan
In the remote village of Diemoyo of Red Sea State in Eastern Sudan, a region suffering from some of the lowest development indicators in the country.more
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG2
- Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling
- Net enrolment ratio in primary education
- Proportion of pupils starting grade 1 who reach last grade of primary
- Literacy rate of 15-24 year-olds, women and men